We challenge some of the world’s most popular tropical destinations to a three-way duel…but which one will come out on top?
Tropical showdowns are interesting but sometimes the contest gets too close to even declare the winner. Islands usually offer beaches, so to gain the upper hand, these contenders need to offer more than the usual beaches. The Maldives look to have the upper hand in this three-way tropical vacation showdown, but Bali and Mauritius also hold their own when it comes to unique experiences.
Here’s what we think of the three.
An exotic holiday in Bali
Bali is an island region located in Indonesia. The island offers a huge list of amazing beaches, mountains and forests for an enjoyable tropical vacation. Apart from the tropical offerings, Bali is also a place of exceptional art and spirituality. The people are devout Hindus and yoga is an essential part of the way of life here. This is due to the strong influence of Chinese and Indian Hindu cultures on the island.
Bali consists of incredible coral reefs and crystal clear waters, making it a mecca for all diving activities. When it comes to food, the cuisine of the island has some elements of similarity with Indonesian cuisine. Meals here often consist of vegetables which are often served with seafood, chicken, pork or meat. Expect lots of rice as it is the most popular food across the country and fruits too.
Things to enjoy in Bali
In Bali, there are loads of things to enjoy, but these are perhaps the most popular to wait there:
- A spiritual atmosphere: Bali is a highly spiritual island. Hinduism is the most widespread religion on the island, which sets it apart from the rest of the Muslim-majority countries in Indonesia. The people here are devout Hindus and there are temples and sacred sites all over the island. Healing, yoga, meditation, and other spiritually related exercises are popular here. Needless to say, this is a place for those seeking healing and a connection to their inner selves. On the island, there are lakes, forests, temples and even volcanoes that are considered highly spiritual places.
- Incredible scenery: Bali’s landscape is characterized by dense forests, palm trees, beautiful beaches and waterfalls and these natural elements combine to give the island a stunning landscape. Even the rice fields here are so beautifully designed that one will be compelled to take pictures.
- Exciting Adventures: Exciting activities such as rafting, surfing, scuba diving and sunbathing are popular things to do in Bali.
- Pieces of trash everywhere from the beaches to many parts of the streets and even underwater.
- Overcrowded beaches, hotels and crowded roads.
A breathtaking holiday in the Maldives
The Maldives are one of the most sought-after tropical destinations in the world. The island is famous for its beautiful white sand beaches and rich culture. More than a thousand small islands make up the Maldives and they are located in the Indian Ocean. Among these islands are some of the best places for an unforgettable tropical vacation.
Due to its abundance of coral reefs, its waters are filled with a wide variety of sea creatures such as fish and sea turtles. Swimming with sharks and stingrays is a popular thing here as the creatures tend to thrive in the waters around the archipelago.
Things to enjoy in the Maldives
- Beaches: Incredible The beaches of the Maldives are characterized by pristine white sand, crystal clear waters and a pure expanse of blue sky. The abundance of sunlight and the favorable water temperature make diving, sunbathing and other water-related activities more attractive. Some beaches are in remote places where they can only be reached by boat, making them perfect for those who want a bit of seclusion.
- Local residents: The people of the Maldives are incredibly respectful and will try to help tourists however they can. Language can be a barrier in some areas, but no matter what, you can never get stuck. Just make sure you dress properly and don’t go naked on the beach because people frown. This is because the Maldives is a Muslim majority nation.
- Exciting stages for surfing: The constant winds overwhelming the Maldives make it an ideal scene for surfing. The constant waves meet the needs of professional and amateur surfers.
- strict dressing culture. People are often required to fully cover.
- Dirt at almost every corner.
A nature lover holiday in Mauritius
Mauritius is a remote archipelago located in the Indian Ocean. The island is considered part of Africa and is located east of Madagascar. Mauritius is unique for its secluded location, but on top of that, the island presents an unforgettable tropical experience with its stunning landscapes and incredible experiences. Beaches are found in abundance across Mauritius to provide travelers with an amazing beach experience. Many beaches are characterized by soft sands and crystal clear waters that are warm and conducive to pleasant seaside relaxation. The coral reefs surrounding the island create a beautiful scene for an exciting underwater experience.
The island’s wildlife is also notable as the island is famous for being the home of Dodo – a flightless bird that died out in 1681. Today there are still depictions of this unique bird all over the island. Paintings and sculptures can be seen in museums across the country illustrating what this supposedly over 10kg, 1 meter tall bird looked like.
Things to enjoy in Mauritius
- Beautiful beaches : The most beautiful white sand beaches are located on the northern side of Mauritius while the southern and western parts offer incredible landscapes as well as a good atmosphere for some water activities.
- Cultural diversity: Mauritius is made up of different cultures and people who have come together to create a unique island. The inhabitants of the island are of Indian, Creole, Chinese and European origin. This amazing diversity is reflected in the dishes of the island as they combine the flavors of all these cultures. Rice is a popular food here, but expect dishes to be loaded with vegetables and lots of spices. Rougaille is one of the most popular island dishes on the island. It is a tomato dish rich in spices, and often accompanied by rice.
- His distance: Mauritius is an isolated island and getting there can be difficult. Besides the difficulty of reaching the island, many things within its borders are still manually operated, which slows down life on the island a bit.
- Mosquitoes: As expected from an island country.
- Vulnerable to extreme weather conditions and natural disasters.
Conclusion: Bali, Maldives or Mauritius?
There is a huge difference between these tropical destinations due to the different cultures and their remoteness from each other. The Maldives is one of the most visited tropical destinations in the world, but the experience can be regular for many.
Mauritius also offers an appealing island experience and its remoteness makes the island a unique place to visit as it feels like an entirely different world made up of many different cultures. Bali, on the other hand, combines a spiritual atmosphere with the island experience, which makes it unique and stands out from the rest.
Next: Barbados Vs. Bahamas Vs. Aruba: A Three-Way Face-Off
Why Leeds Castle is called the most beautiful castle in the world
About the Author