Dubai: Everyone dreams of prosperity, success and finding that elusive job. With so many opportunities to find opportunities in the UAE, it is only natural that some opportunistic people abuse this need.
Thus, those wishing to enter the United Arab Emirates for the purposes of work, visit, investment, residence or any other legal purpose could be exposed to employment and visa fraud. If you have received a job offer letter in the UAE, how can you be sure that the job offer is valid? If you want to avoid succumbing to an employment scam and want to make sure that the offer letter is legitimate, you can find out the authenticity through the official MOHRE website – mohre.gov.ae
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to check the validity of the offer letter, whether the company exists legally, and tips on how to avoid employment fraud in the UAE.
What does a letter of offer include?
According to the MOHRE, if you are offered a job in the UAE, the letter must be issued by the ministry and must include the following information:
– Type of Contract
– Salary (monthly, daily, or commissions….etc.)
– Balance of weekly holidays
– Period of notice and other conditions.
– Start date
– Job role
– Business Number
To learn more about what a MOHRE offer letter is, read our in-depth guide here.
Documents required for a job offer letter
According to the MOHRE, to ensure issuance of the MoHRE Letter of Employment, the following documents must be submitted by the employer:
– A valid copy of passport (valid for more than six months)
– Original Electronic Signature Card (for Owner/Authorized Signer)
– A copy of the card (to specify the establishment code at MOHRE)
– Salary details including base salary, allowances, terms and type of contract.
– A copy of the cancellation of the work permit (dating back less than 90 days) in the event of a transfer of the permit.
How do I know if my job offer is valid?
If you are coming to the UAE for a job and have received a job offer, you can visit the UAE Embassy in your country to confirm the validity.
Another method is to check the validity of the employer via the MOHRE online application service. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to verify the job offer:
Step 1: Visit mohre.gov.ae
Go to the menu tab and click on services. Once you click on Services, navigate to the drop-down menu and select Request Services.
Step 2: Intelligence Services
Once you have landed on the services page, click on request services and scroll down and choose “Request a job offer”.
Step 3: Job offer details
You will then be directed to a separate page to verify your job offer letter. You will then need to fill in the details of the job offer:
– Transaction number
– Business Number
– From date
– Type of permit (If you are an employee, check the validity of the job offer, choose ‘all work permits’)
Once you have filled in the information, click submit. If it is genuine, you will be able to view the MOHRE-approved letter online. If it is a fraudulent job offer and the letter has not been registered with MOHRE, the job offer will not be available in the system.
What is a transaction number?
Most job offer letters have the business number and transaction number listed in the letter. Companies and recruitment agencies need to upload the job letter to MOHRE, once they upload it, they are given a transaction number. The future employee must request this information from the employer.
How do I know if the company is real?
To make sure that the company exists legally and is authorized, you can search the English and Arabic names of the company in the National Economic Register (NER) and get the details of the company.
Steps to check if the company exists:
1. First, visit this link: https://ner.economy.ae/
2. Go to the menu tab, click on “Commercial License Request” and choose “Request by Company Name”.
3. Next, fill in the company name in Arabic and English and complete the verification captcha.
4. Click on survey. You will then receive accurate and complete data on the company’s existing economic license in the UAE.
What is the National Economic Register?
The National Economic Register (RNE) is a federal electronic form developed under government initiatives and supervised by the Ministry of Economy.
The NER enables government entities, business people, researchers and customers to obtain instant, accurate and comprehensive information on existing economic licenses, data, statistics, activities and reports, according to u.ae , the official website of the Government of the United Arab Emirates.
How can I enter the UAE after accepting the job offer?
1. According to u.ae, a residency visa cannot be processed for anyone while the applicant is outside the UAE. A residency visa can only be issued when the applicant is inside the UAE after entering the country with an entry permit.
2. After signing the letter of offer, the employer will send you a work visa to enter the UAE. It is important to note that the sponsor (the employer) is responsible for paying the recruitment fee according to UAE labor laws, and employers who fail to do so face severe penalties. Learn more here.
3. Check the validity of an entry permit/visa issued by Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah or Fujairah via icp.gov.ae. If you have an entry permit/visa issued by Dubai, you should check its validity at www.gdrfad.gov.ae.
To learn more about all the requirements to work in the UAE, read this detailed guide.
Do not work with a visit visa
A visit or tourist entry permit/visa does not give you the right to work in the UAE. Those found guilty of working on a visit visa face strict measures that may include three months in prison and a fine of up to 10,000 Dhs, as well as deportation. Learn more here.