Japan on Friday began accepting online applications from sponsors, including universities and businesses, seeking entry clearance for foreign students and business people ahead of the easing of strict entry restrictions on Tuesday. entering the country.
Sponsors will be required to share entrant information through the Incoming and Returning Tracking System (ERFS)which comes under the Ministry of Health.
Notifications of successful applications will be sent to sponsors. Visa applicants can then apply for a visa at the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate.
Foreign nationals who receive a visa will be able to travel to Japan but will have to abide by the revised quarantine measures and report their whereabouts and health status through the ERFS system.
The government on Thursday also released details of the easing of border restrictions from March following Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s announcement last week to allow new entries of non-tourist foreign nationals.
A total of 37 countries and regions – including Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates, but not the United States – have been referred to as omicron hotspots. The designation will determine quarantine rules for new arrivals.
Quarantine requirements are as follows:
- If you are from one of the 37 countries on the list and have not received a reminder, a three-day quarantine in a designated facility and a negative test on the third day are required.
- If you are from one of the 37 countries and received a booster shot, a three-day quarantine at home or at a location of your choice and a negative test on the third day is required. If you do not pass a test, you must quarantine yourself for seven days.
- If you are not from one of the 37 countries and have not received a reminder, a three-day quarantine at home or at a location of your choice and a negative test on the third day is required. If you do not pass a test, you must quarantine yourself for seven days.
- If you are not from one of the 37 countries and have received a reminder, you will be exempt from quarantine.
For example, if you are arriving from the United States and have received a booster injection, you do not need to quarantine yourself at all. Children traveling with their parents who are not eligible for a recall will be able to go through the same quarantine conditions as their parents.
People who have received COVID-19 vaccines made by Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson will be eligible for shorter quarantine periods.
From March, people arriving from abroad, with the exception of people who must quarantine in designated facilities, will be allowed to use public transport within 24 hours of arrival, even during the blackout period. quarantine.
The move to ease border restrictions follows intensified calls from universities, domestic and foreign business leaders, and even ruling parties.
Frequently Asked Questions About Restrictions are posted on the ministry’s website in Japanese.
List of countries designated as omicron hotspots:
- Brazil (Sao Paulo and Parana)
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- United Arab Emirates
In an age of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us tell the story well.