A study of 2,000 social media users who like to venture abroad also found that 44% would go so far as to unfollow someone for using grumpy captions.
Image: © 2019 Yiu Yu Hoi/Getty)
The wackiest captions to accompany vacation snaps on social media are “suns, buns,” “hot dogs or legs,” and “life is a beach,” according to research.
“I wish you were beer” and “holiday mode: on” are also among the top 10 most clichéd phrases.
The study of 2,000 social media users who like to venture abroad also found that 44% would go so far as to unfollow someone for using grumpy captions.
While 66% would completely avoid posting on social media rather than risk posting content deemed “basic” by their Instagram followers and Facebook friends.
He also revealed the type of vacation snaps people are tired of seeing, including gratuitous bikini shots, hands clasped to create a heart in front of a sunset, and that first shot of beer at the airport.
A fed up 38% even cut off social media followers and friends after getting tired of seeing a continuous posting of holiday photos.
Zoe Harris, Chief Client Officer at On the Beach, who commissioned the research, said: “Since restrictions across Europe have eased, we have seen a huge increase in beach holiday bookings, which which means we’re ready for a summer of sun, sea and sandy social content.
“This year, we’re encouraging people to get real on social media, celebrating all that comes with the holidays – showing off their favorite and funniest moments from their travels.
“We believe holidays should be enjoyed for what they are – a break from normalcy and a chance to relax.
“Granted, we all love the attention we get when we post about our sunny beach getaway, but it can be much more appreciated by living in the moment.”
The study also found that 29% even admitted to booking their vacation destinations based on their appearance on their social feed.
Barbados, Santorini and St Tropez have been named among the most “Instagrammable” vacations, along with the Maldives, Cancun and Cape Town.
Conducted via OnePoll, the research found that travelers will spend nearly 44 minutes a day capturing and posting vacation content, the equivalent of nearly 10 hours during a two-week break.
But 39% struggle to find engaging captions for their own posts.
Tom Read Wilson, Blacksmith and ‘Agony Uncle’ resident on Celebs Go Dating, said: “Summer 2022 sees the return of the long-awaited beach break.
“Jet-setters are likely to feel the pressure poolside to revamp their dark, gloomy social media grids with colored sun, sea and sand.
“The truth is the #holidays are back. So, incidentally, is the holiday hashtag.
“But after a few years of tedious travel restrictions, many will be out of practice and at risk of becoming more OTT than beautiful sand and sea.”
TOM’S TIPS FOR PERFECTING YOUR TRAVEL STATIONS:
- Get real: beach breaks will give you plenty of magical moments, but when it comes time to drop vacation content, don’t overthink it. People tend to engage with more authentic posts, so try to avoid falling into the trap of only posting the best stuff.
- You bought the flight, so show it off! It is important to remember that you have earned your vacation. Checked in for months, waited for travel restrictions to ease, and now it’s time to celebrate. Your best friends will know and probably have their own vacation plans to look forward to. Your messages have the power to increase their anticipation and allow them to encourage your well-deserved rest.
- Stock up on puns: the holidays are the perfect time to get #puntastic. How about #vacationcrustacean for that insanely delicious seafood pasta you busted? For the glorious holiday drink to go with it, try #vacationlibation. Depending on what you’ve selected, you’ll even be able to flirt with surprisingly quirky hashtags like #bikinimartini or #swimsuitflute.
- Everyone loves a LOL: #Holidayhashtags are the key to knowing if your friends back at Blighty are looking at your posts with envy or admiration (and finding themselves tickled or irritated). The key to unlocking likes will always be #hashtaghumor. Your mind has the power to make your followers eat out of the palm of your hand. Maybe your sunny Spanish hotel got some rain while there’s a heat wave in Britain? Own it on IG and share the fun side.
- Next step, paradise: The easiest way to avoid the trap of a #holidaycliche is to make your #digidiary as tailor-made as possible. It starts with sharing your dream vacation destination. For example, you could take us on a #costadelwalk through the Costa del Sol, decide to be #IndisCrete about your adventures in Greece or even show us how #tenerific Tenerife is.
TOP 10 MOST CRINGEWORTHY LEGENDS:
- Suns out, buns out
- Hot dogs or legs?
- Life is a beach
- Be rude not to
- wish you were beer
- another day in paradise
- Holiday mode: activated
- Girls just wanna have some sun
- Catch flights, not feelings
- wish you were Here