Where it’s hot in December for vacation – we take a look at top destinations like Mexico, Barbados, and Dubai if you’re looking for warm weather and winter sun
Image: Getty Images / iStockphoto)
December doesn’t have to mean drizzle and cold – if you’ve got some annual vacation to use, it’s one of the best months for a winter vacation in the sun.
There are plenty of destinations that offer warm, sunny weather throughout December, including places worthy of a pick list such as Mexico, Dubai, and even the Canary Islands.
To give you a hand, we’ve rounded up the best hot and sunny vacation destinations for December, along with some of the companies with some great deals.
Check out our guide below …
(Oh, and if you’re looking for some last-minute sunshine, we’ve got a guide to the best hot destinations for November as well!).
The image bank)
Golden beaches? To verify. Sunshine and average temperatures of 28C? To verify. All-inclusive resorts, vibrant nightlife and plenty of attractions? Check, check, check!
These are just a few of the reasons Cancun has long been a favorite with Brits after a bit of winter sunshine, and this winter it is open to Brits without PCR testing or vaccines.
It can also be a convenient base if you plan to explore some of the best things to see and do in Mexico.
Where to find Cancun vacation deals
- Thomas Cook has December deals starting at £ 506 per person – book here.
- Loveholidays offers all-inclusive deals in Cancun starting at £ 684 per person – book here.
- TravelSupermarket can be a good source to compare prices if you are flexible on dates – find out more here.
Barbados has average temperatures of around 29 ° C in December, making it ideal conditions for enjoying its ridiculously beautiful beaches.
The island caters for a multitude of vacationers, whether you’re looking for a family-friendly resort, looking for a dose of adventure with hiking and water sports, or wanting to experience the world-famous food and rum scene of the island. It is also one of the Caribbean islands open to the British for the winter of 2021.
Where to find a vacation in Barbados
- Mirror Holidays offers packages from £ 871 per person – book here.
- First Choice offers all-inclusive vacations from £ 1086 per person – book here.
- British Airways offers Barbados vacations and packages with Aer Lingus flights from Manchester – book here.
3. Canary Islands
Getty Images / AWL Images RM)
The Canaries enjoy sunshine all year round, with average temperatures of 21 ° C in December.
It may not be warm enough to lay on a beach all day, but it is still warm enough to enjoy the waterfront walks, lively bars and restaurants, and the volcanic landscapes of the islands (including including black sand beaches). As an added bonus, you also won’t be facing the crowds in high season, so this may be the perfect time to explore some of the islands’ brilliant old towns and attractions.
You don’t know which of the islands to visit? Our guide to the Canary Islands is packed with tips for choosing the right one for your vacation.
Where to find vacation deals in the Canary Islands
- Mirror Holidays offers trips to the Canary Islands from £ 185 per person – book here.
- First Choice offers packages from £ 205 per person – book here.
- TUI has December deals starting at £ 220 per person – book here.
- Jet2holidays offers packages from £ 306 per person – book here.
- Fred Olsen offers cruises around the Canaries from £ 999 per person – book here.
4. Los Angeles
Holidays in the United States are back as the country has lifted a travel ban on Britons.
The City of Angels has average temperatures of 20 ° C in December and lots of sun, making it ideal conditions for sightseeing.
Look up your favorite celebrities on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, shop Rodeo Drive, or enjoy a hike in Runyon Canyon – we’ve got a guide to the best things to see in Los Angeles to get you started.
Where to find LA vacation deals
- British Airways has deals in LA starting at £ 627 per person – book here.
- TravelSupermarekt has found seven night deals starting at £ 783 per person – book here.
- Virgin Atlantic offers breaks in LA from £ 1086 per person – book here.
Getty Images / EyeEm)
With temperatures averaging around 26 ° C, December is a great time to visit Dubai before temperatures start to soar.
Highlights include the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, Dubai’s sprawling mall filled with hundreds of shops, not to mention the stunning beaches and hotel pools with city views.
In fact, you might want to check out our guide to Dubai vacations with tips on the best places to visit and how to get good deals.
6. The Maldives
There are some incredible experiences in the Maldives, from underwater restaurants to private dining on the islands, so it’s no surprise that the islands are on most people’s bucket list.
December brings plenty of warm, sunny weather for those who want to make the most of those perfect beaches you’ve seen all over your social media feeds.
While the islands aren’t budget-friendly, there are ways to find cheaper stays in the Maldives – generally, all-inclusive is one of the best ways to go.
Where to find a vacation in the Maldives
- Southall Travel offers packages from £ 835 per person – book here.
- Mirror Holidays offers packages starting at £ 1,082 per person – book here.
- Club Med offers all-inclusive vacations from £ 1,098 per person – book here.
7. Cape Town
Getty Images / iStockphoto)
Cape Town enjoys mild temperatures averaging 27 ° C in December, with plenty of sunshine. It’s hot enough to explore the beaches, but not so hot that a hike to Table Mountain isn’t an option (although there is a cable car to the top if you don’t feel like doing it. go hiking !).
It should be noted that December is not the peak season for safari holidays, but that doesn’t mean you won’t see wildlife. (If you’re only visiting one spot, choose Boulders Beach, famous for its penguin colonies!).
Where to find Cape Town vacation deals
- On the Beach offers vacations from £ 813 per person – book here.
- Trailfinders offers a number of tours and tailor-made packages – book here.
- Kenwood Travel offers a variety of Cape Town vacations – book here.
- Virgin Holidays offers trips to Cape Town from £ 1087 per person – book here.
8. Cape Verde
AWL Images RM)
Cape Verde is a dreamy relaxing break with 10 islands to explore. The island of Sal tends to be particularly popular thanks to its wide range of things to see and do.
In November, temperatures tend to average around 27 ° C, which is ideal for those planning to relax on these absolutely beautiful beaches.
Where to find a cheap vacation in Cape Verde
- Thomas Cook offers vacations from £ 401 – book here.
- On the Beach has deals in Cape Verde starting from £ 407 per person – book here.
- TUI offers packages from £ 717 per person – book here.
9. Dominican Republic
The Caribbean hotspot averages 26-29 ° C in December, so now is the perfect time if you plan to bask in the sun on these pristine beaches, sipping cocktails or relaxing by the pool. .
Adventure seekers won’t be disappointed either, as there is a lot to explore in the Dominican Republic, from national parks to beaches and bustling villages. (Tripadvisor has a handy guide to the best sights in the Dominican Republic to get you started.)
Where to find public holidays in the Dominican Republic
- LoveHolidays offers vacations from £ 560 per person – book here.
- TUI offers packages from £ 750 per person – book here.
Getty Images / iStockphoto)
With low humidity and temperatures of around 26 ° C, December is a great time to vacation in Thailand, whether you plan to explore the awe-inspiring temples, relax on those perfect beaches, or discover bustling Bangkok. .
There is so much to discover, so we’ve put together a guide to the best things to see and do to help you narrow it down. Just make sure you leave room on the route for these beautiful islands too!
Where to find vacation deals in Thailand:
- Mirror Holidays offers a wide range of guided tours – book here.
- Emirates offers luxury holidays in Phuket from £ 1,046 per person – book here.
Travel restrictions and entry rules apply and can change quickly during the pandemic. Always check the latest advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before booking or going on a trip.
Sign up here to receive the Mirror Travel Newsletter delivered to your inbox with more destination ideas, offers and travel updates.